Gary supports immigrants coming to America in search of a better life for themselves and their children.
America is a country built on stolen land and founded by immigrants using the labor of enslaved people. Gary has been sickened by the separation of families at the border from countries like Guatemala, Honduras, and other Latin-American countries. The prevailing notion in this country is that immigration is a Latinx only issue. That is incorrect. According to the Pew Research Center, in 2016 there were 4.2 million immigrants of African descent living in the United States. Immigrants of African descent hailing from Haiti, Congo and other Black nations.
In 2020, detained Black women were forcefully sterilized while being held by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Black Cameroonian asylum seekers also outcried alleged tortured into signing their own deportation orders. This happened right here in Louisiana! In fact, human rights protests broke out here because Black detainees alleged that they were being treated differently than detainees from Latin countries. But let’s be clear this isn’t just poor Republican immigration policy, this is simply poor American immigration policy.
Hence, Gary commits to advocating for the following:
- Comprehensive immigration reform, if not the complete abolition of ICE
- Comprehensive immigration policy reform. The current immigration policy is rooted in white supremacy and there must be a catharsis of that system
- Congressional hearings to investigate the mistreatment of Black detainees
- Strong oversight of private prisons in Louisiana and the United States
- Collaboration with other progressive congresspeople of color. Gary understands that alliance is the best path forward for immigration reform and change.